Michael D. Sechrest is one of the most valuable attorneys at Warner, Sechrest & Butts, P.A. Serving as an expert litigator of complex and multi-partied lawsuits, he has been responsible for numerous wins, including settlements totaling up to millions of dollars in damages. He currently serves as an arbitrator on a multi-arbitrator panel for complex business disputes.
In 1995, Mr. Sechrest earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Criminology from the University of Florida with an intent to pursue a career within the legal field. Deciding to be a “double Gator,” Mr. Sechrest later graduated from the University of Florida Fredric G. Levin College of Law with a J.D. in 1998. He continues to stay active within the legal education field, often giving guest lectures on construction law issues to eager law students.
Unmatched Litigation Experience
Practicing within the areas of business/construction litigation, personal injury, products liability, wrongful death, negligence and medical malpractice, Mr. Sechrest has represented a wide variety of clients ranging from plaintiffs and contractors to business owners and suppliers. He is also strategically involved in OSHA proceedings, bid protests and federal construction bankruptcy claims. Further, Mr. Sechrest has aggressively litigated against many prominent insurance companies and corporations including:
- Allstate Insurance
- Nationwide Insurance
- The Hartford
- Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Insurance Company
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
- CNA Financial
- Travelers Insurance
- Zunich Insurance Agency
- Cincinnati Financial Corporation
- Publix Supermarkets
- UF Health Shands Hospital
- Goldman Sachs
- BP Global
- Walmart, and more.
Most Popular Settlements
Further, Mr. Sechrest has been successful through numerous claims in which he has gained the following settlements:
- A $4 million verdict for clients involved in a construction case against a municipality
- A multi-million dollar win against an engineering company
- A $20 million claim in Tennessee
- A large recovery in a jury trial for the survivors in a wrongful death by electrocution case
- A victory in a jury trial on behalf of a young, seriously injured worker on a construction project
- A successful pro bono trial on behalf of a mentally and physically disabled single father for unfair and deceptive trade by unlicensed contractors
Awards & Achievements
Throughout his legal career, Mr. Sechrest has earned numerous awards and achievements. He is Board Certified in Construction Law (2005), and serves as a member of of the Florida Bar Construction Committee, the Florida Bar Trial Lawyers Section, and the United States District Court for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of of Florida.
Awards granted to Mr. Sechrest include:
- Chief Justice’s Law Firm Commendation Award for Pro Bono Service (2012)
- Member, Chief Justice Awards Selection Committee (2013)
- Named a Super Lawyer (2012) for personal injury and construction law
- Named a Super Lawyer (2013-2014) for products liability and construction
- Named Top Lawyer in Orlando and in Florida by the Wall Street Journal for the past three consecutive years
Most recently, in 2014, Mr. Sechrest received the prestigious distinction of becoming a Florida Board Certified Civil Trial Expert. Typically, only 1 percent of lawyers are board certified in two areas.
Expert Litigator in Complex Claims
No matter how difficult or complex you may think your situation is, attorney Michael D. Sechrest can help you get through it. For aggressive representation, advocacy and expert litigation during construction claims, contact our Gainesville construction law firm today for a free initial consultation.